WHAT IS COMPUTER NETWORKING
Computer networks are the foundation of communicating at IT. They are used in a vast variety of ways and may consider many other types of system. The computer system is a collection of computers that are linked together so that they can get information. The earliest instances of computer networks. exist from the decades, but they have been a long way in this half-century since so.
This ever-decreasing value direction of current technology enabled the growth of computer. Bulletin card Systems or bbs’s which were pre-cursors to what we now recognize as the net. They were community computer networks, mostly gone by hobbyists (SysOps) out of bedrooms and basements with one telephone connection, perhaps two, for different hobbyists to control in and play games, exchange messages, Download files and find if there were any daughters to speak to at what was mostly the cyber wasteland devoid of females.
TYPES OF COMPUTER NETWORK
A computer network can be categorized by their size. A computer network is mainly of four types:
- LAN(Local Area Network)
- PAN(Personal Area Network)
- MAN(Metropolitan Area Network)
- WAN(Wide Area Network)
LAN(Local Area Network)
- Local Area Network is a group of computers connected to each other in a small area such as building, office.
- LAN is used for connecting two or more personal computers through a communication medium such as twisted pair, coaxial cable, etc.
- It is less costly as it is built with inexpensive hardware such as hubs, network adapters, and ethernet cables.
- The data is transferred at an extremely faster rate in Local Area Network.
- Local Area Network provides higher security.
Personal Area Network is a network arranged within an individual person, typically within a range of 10 meters.
- Personal Area Network is used for connecting the computer devices of personal use is known as Personal Area Network.
- Thomas Zimmerman was the first research scientist to bring the idea of the Personal Area Network.
- Personal Area Network covers an area of 30 feet.
- Personal computer devices that are used to develop the personal area network are the laptop, mobile phones, media player and play stations. There are two types of Personal Area Network:
- Wired Personal Area Network
- Wireless Personal Area Network
Wireless Personal Area Network: Wireless Personal Area Network is developed by simply using wireless technologies such as WiFi, Bluetooth. It is a low range network.
MAN(Metropolitan Area Network
- A metropolitan area network is a network that covers a larger geographic area by interconnecting a different LAN to form a larger network.
- Government agencies use MAN to connect to the citizens and private industries.
- In MAN, various LANs are connected to each other through a telephone exchange line.
- The most widely used protocols in MAN are RS-232, Frame Relay, ATM, ISDN, OC-3, ADSL, etc.
- It has a higher range than Local Area Network(LAN).
Uses Of Metropolitan Area Network:
- MAN is used in communication between the banks in a city.
- It can be used in an Airline Reservation.
- It can be used in a college within a city.
- It can also be used for communication in the military.
WAN(Wide Area Network
- A Wide Area Network is a network that extends over a large geographical area such as states or countries.
- A Wide Area Network is quite bigger network than the LAN.
- A Wide Area Network is not limited to a single location, but it spans over a large geographical area through a telephone line, fibre optic cable or satellite links.
- The internet is one of the biggest WAN in the world.
- A Wide Area Network is widely used in the field of Business, government, and education.
Difference between a LAN and a WAN
- LAN is a computer network that covers a small geographic area, like a home, office, or group of buildings.
- There is a need to set up a couple of extra devices on the network, so it is not very expensive.
- LAN has a higher data transfer rate.
- Its design and maintenance is easy.
- WAN is a computer network that a broad areacovers . For example, any network whose communications links cross-regional and metropolitan boundaries over a long distance.
- In WAN networks as remote areas have to be connected, hence the set-up costs are higher.
- WAN has a lower data transfer rate as compares to LAN
- Its design and maintenance is difficult.
Advantages of LAN
- Computer resources like hard-disks, DVD-ROM, and printers can share local area networks that significantly reduces the cost of hardware purchases.
- You can use the same software over the network instead of purchasing the licensed software for each client in the network.
- Data of all network users can be stored on a single hard disk of the server computer.
- You can easily transfer data and messages over networked computers.
- It will be easy to manage data at only one place, which makes data more secure.
- Local Area Network offers the facility to share a single internet connection among all the LAN users.
Advantages of WAN
WAN helps you to cover a larger geographical area therefore business offices situated at longer distances can easily communicate.
- Contains devices like mobile phones, laptop, tablet, computers, gaming consoles, etc.
- WLAN connections work using radio transmitters and receivers built into client devices.
- Shares software and resources by connecting with various workstations.
- Share information/files over a larger area.
Disadvantages of LAN
- The LAN admin can check personal data files of every LAN user, so it does not offer good privacy.
- LAN network helps you to save the cost because of shared computer resources. However, the initial cost of installing Local Area Networks is quite high.
- Unauthorized users can access critical data of the company in case LAN admin is not able to secure a centralized data repository.
- Local Area Network needs constant LAN administration as there are issues related to software setup and hardware failures
Disadvantages of WAN
- The initial set up cost of is WAN network is high
- It is difficult to maintain the WAN network as you need skilled technicians and network administrators.
- It requires more time to resolve issues because of the involvement of multiple wired and wireless technologies.
- WAN network offers lower security compared to other types of networks.